Social inequality is the thing that creates the requirement for social justice. It’s when a certain social group is at a great disadvantage. Many times, the unequal treatment is present within both government and community factions. Opportunities in employment, education, and politics are the key platforms in which inequality happens and can then hinder the access to health care, clean water, food, and shelter for many.
Modes of Social Inequality
Social inequality is typically the result of inter-social therapy and/or unequal government regulations. Social inequality can be direct and indirect.
Immediate Social Inequality- takes place when unfair treatment of an individual or a group(s) is deliberate, both government or community capacities. Immediate inequality is a purposeful action that takes away resources, chances and/or rights from a group(s):
- Communities instigating harmful (verbally or physical) treatment of a group based on differences in lifestyle, belief, faith, race, sex, sexual orientation, values, nationality, wealth, and/or skills.
- Government legislation based on beliefs, behaviour, physical, and/or religious traits. These laws are intentionally oppressive to the exceptional group(s).
Indirect Social Inequality- takes place when unfair treatment of an individual or a group(s) is accidental, but still takes place. An intermediary is involved between the person and the instance of societal inequality. Indirect social inequality is generally due to a lack of knowledge and blind activities. Often indirect social inequality is a product of consumerism and impacts the environment/homes of these outside the world of consumerism.
- Purchasing products that are made in sweatshops
- Purchasing food and create that use dangerous pesticides
- Producing large quantities of waste
- Unconsciously using huge amounts of gasoline and power
- Supporting political parties which supports social inequality (directly or indirectly) nationally or globally.
Indirect social inequality is often avoidable on the individual level if the perpetrator is advised. This can then result in an educated community and so forth. Conscious decision making is your solution to direct social inequality.