Taking care of a horse is a fulfilling hobby, but like caring for any other creature, this needs lots of commitment and time. Since horses have a longer life than most animals, keeping them healthy can be a bit of a struggle. Even before settling on obtaining a horse, it’s necessary you know your responsibilities as the proprietor and that you need to make sure that you can comply with your duties as a horse owner. You should know how to take care of a horse. There are several things you can do to help make sure your horse stays healthy.
How to Look after Your Horse
Helpful tips you should know in caring for your horses:
- Provide sufficient space to graze and pasture and make sure it has a shelter to shield it from the heat and the unpleasant weather. Take a look at your field and make sure there are no toxic plants and holes that may injure them.
- You can place a barrier in the entire pasture to keep it safe and prevent them from becoming damaged. Carefully pick your fence too. It would help if you didn’t use barbed wires to your pasture fence. Always schedule your horse for vet visits. Routine check-ups can help you detect health problems early.
- Allow your horses to exercise regularly. To have a well-fit and healthy horse, you need to make sure they have regular exercise. Provide a space for them to operate and proceed. Ride them regularly.
- Groom your horse. As an owner, one of your responsibilities is to make them feel clean and comfortable. Proper grooming should be your priority. Good grooming is one thing you have to learn if you would like to understand how to care for your horse.
- You should have the necessary tools needed for grooming, and be sure that you groom your horse right after riding it. This will allow you to check for cuts or injuries. Check them entirely from head to toe. Begin your grooming routine by minding your horse correctly in a secure place to avoid them from running away. Choose its hooves. Make sure its mane, tail, and face are brushed.
- Dewormed them regularly. Horses need to be dewormed, and because there are many dewormers available for horses, you have to check with a vet to help you out with the correct dewormer for your horse.
- Give them a constant supply of water. Horses need fresh and clean water regularly, so make sure they have ample supply from the barn or the security.
- Make sure that you are housing your horse at a clean stable. This is basic in figuring out how to take care of a horse. In setting up your horse’s shelter, make sure that you give your horse clean bedding of straw to rest comfortably.
- Clean your horse’s regular daily, particularly if your horse is stabled most days of the day. Replace soiled straw on your horse’s bedding to avoid fungal infections and other organisms that may cause diseases.
Equine Veterinary Services & Emergency Care
In Argyle Veterinary Hospital, their vets provide each of the equine health care services and treatments you need to keep your horse injury-free, wholesome, healthy, and joyful.
Apart from the services listed here, their Argyle vets also provide equine global health certificates, Coggins, hospital care, and health certifications.
The skilled vets in Argyle equine animal hospital offer on-farm and in-house equine veterinary services and treatments from lameness diagnosis to breeding services and sports medicine treatments. Take a look at this clinic and learn more about their services.
These are only a few grooming points that you need to keep in mind. It is equally as crucial for animals as it is for people and will alert you to any health problems so that they might be treated early on. Ensure that your horse receives necessary procedures and vaccinations regularly, and will lead to overall good equine health. Ensure to learn the basics to direct you on looking after a horse and eventually raise more in the future.